It may be necessary to obtain an apostille in Kiev in a variety of cases: for training, employment, moving, marriage registration, divorce and other actions abroad. Any situations involving the use of Ukrainian official documents in another country require their legalization. Only the affixing of a special stamp in one of the state institutions of Ukraine gives the documents legal force abroad. In this case, the procedure for issuing an apostille may differ depending on the document and the country of destination.
Where does the apostille get in Kiev?
The place where the apostille is affixed directly depends on the type of document that you need to legalize. There are three government agencies performing this function in Kiev:
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine, namely the department of apostilization, legalization and retrieval of documents of the Department of Consular Service of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine st. Velyka Zhytomyrska 2.
- Ministry of Justice of Ukraine (since 2015 – these responsibilities are assigned to the Civil Registry Office) st. Artem 73, room 155.
- Ministry of Education of Ukraine – Information and Image Center st. Chornovil, 25.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine is responsible for the apostilization of documents issued by the Ministry of Internal Affairs, OVIR, archives, as well as certificates of various kinds. The Ministry of Justice puts apostilles on notarial documents and all documents issued by the registry office. At the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine, you can legalize educational documents such as a diploma, a certificate, a certificate of graduation from an educational institution, and other documents issued by educational authorities.
Apostille procedure in Kiev
Whatever department you apply to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Ministry of Justice or the Ministry of Education and Science, the procedure for obtaining an apostille on documents is approximately the same:
- Preparation of documents for submission: passport, application, original document to be legalized.
- Payment of the registration fee (the receipt is attached to the general package of documents).
- Submission of documents to the required state institution.
- Employees check whether the submitted document is subject to apostilization, and also verify the signature and stamp for compliance with the legislation of Ukraine and the country of destination.
- If the document passes the check, it is apostilled and registered.
The terms for affixing an apostille in Kiev are different in each case. At the Ministry of Education and Science and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine, this usually takes from one to five working days. In the Ministry of Justice, the speed of the procedure depends on the type of documents and takes from one day to a month. The processing time is affected by the number of submitted documents and their type.
Cost of obtaining an apostille
In order to independently obtain an apostille on your document, you will need to pay the following amounts:
- Ministry of Justice of Ukraine – 51 UAH for individuals, 85 UAH for legal entities;
- Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine – the cost depends on the speed, and also includes a state duty of 51 UAH. for individuals, 85 UAH for legal entities;
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs – consular fee is 150 UAH. for individuals, 450 UAH for enterprises.
You can also ask for help from the specialists of our legal portal WebJurist. For a small fee, we will save you from the need to waste time and effort on tedious bureaucratic procedures. To get services, simply contact an employee by phone or place an order on the website.